Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Suffocation via Fashion

It's been a while, but I'm drawn back to the blogging world for the same reason I wrote my last blog...to vent about getting rid of clothing. Lately I have been feeling suffocated. Suffocated by things in our apartment, by preoccupations in my mind, and by obligations. We, as a society, tend to feel like more is always better and I'm starting to yearn for the simplicity of having less. People in Bible times lived w/ less (WAY less) and had fulfilling lives. Maybe I would be closer to God if I got rid of the clutter (physical and mental) and regained my focus.

So anyways....I say all this to say that I stumbled across a "minimalist" blog called "Be More with Less." She talks about minimizing clutter in ALL aspects of life. But where to start? She wrote a blog about minimizing our wardrobe. Drastically. And I mean DRASTICALLY. Down to 33 pieces...and that includes clothing, accessories, outerwear, shoes, and jewelry. See the link below for more info on that. 

http://bemorewithless.com/2010/quick-start-guides-for-project-333/

I'm not even remotely insane enough to think that I could accomplish that, but I did want to see how many unnecessary pieces of clothes I could get rid of. So last night I purged. And it was painful! Why is it so difficult to get rid of clothes I hardly ever or NEVER wear?? Ugh. I found that there are a few different reasons why it's hard to let go of clothing. 

1.) The item represents how I would like to view myself.
      For example, thinner, taller, bustier....whatever.
2.) The item holds emotional value
      For example, I never wear it anymore, but I wore it as cover up on our honeymoon. It symbolizes great memories!

3.) The item has never been worn! You hate to admit that it was a TOTAL wrong decision...so you keep it in your closet for months and months till an appropriate amount of time has passed so that you can get rid of it without feeling like it was useless (even though it was).
     For example....this pink shirt that never ever fit correctly (purchased just a few months ago) and a pair of shorts...w/ the tag still on them!

4.) They're ancient.
     I have had this "Janna's school of Dance" t-shirt since 5th grade and the white youth rally shirt since 2000. These shirts are over a decade old. They're practically vintage! 
5.) They represent a part of who you were.
     I loved being in a social club in college. However, there are not a lot of places where I feel like it would be appropriate to wear a GTO jersey. Actually, I can't think of anywhere except Freed. But I love(d) my kelly green and royal blue apparel because it represented Warrior pride and some of the most fun times I had w/ my friends. Alas...there are no social clubs at work these days. Not officially, anyways.

6.) I think I'll need them eventually.
     Like my dress clothes. I dress up for church once a week. That leaves a lot of business-y dress clothes high and dry. I think, "I don't have a job where I have to dress up for work now, but I might someday!" Yeah...right. It's been 6 years of working without dressing up. And if I do happen to eventually get a "fancy" job, I doubt my style will be the same.
I wore this little skirt-suit thingy once. In three years. The odds are not in its favor.

And what about this little number? Only worn ONCE! Jk! I'm not getting rid of the w-dress!

I felt like I got rid of SO much stuff (65 items) but I couldn't even tell a difference by looking in my closet and drawers! My ultimate goal is to be able to get rid of my dresser (it's crappy anyways) and to fit all of my clothes in my closet (on only MY side, Rett would prefer). Not only that, but I'd like to be able to thumb through them with ease....not have to push and push on them to see what lies behind each hanger like you have to do at Goodwill. 

There's no telling how many items I have if getting rid of 65 didn't even make a dent. It's embarrassing, really. I haven't given up yet, though. Being more w/ less might take a while, but I'm determined to make some wiggle room in my life and in my closet...starting with one pair of jeans at a time.
My "ditch it" pile. Only the beginning, let's hope.

2 comments:

  1. Man props on getting rid of stuff!! However..that youth rally shirt is really "you"! Too bad there isnt a good project to do with all of those

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to declutter my closet recently too, and I found myself feeling the same way you did--It didn't even make a dent! Crazy how much we accumulate!

    ReplyDelete