Monday, October 17, 2011

Retirement of the Traveling Pants

Have you ever had a favorite item of clothing that you just, like, DESTROYED because you wore it vigorously for so long? Well, I've had several, but the top three that come to mind are the three pairs of jeans I brought with me to Europe when I went abroad in college. Three months...three pairs of jeans. You do the math. That's a LOT of wear and tear (on pants that were already worn out because -duh- they were already my favorites). So, long story short, the first two ripped (butt cheek in one pair, crotch in the other.....lovely. Non-repairable, for sure). This past month my last pair of traveling jeans finally bit the dust. I'm telling you... I about cried. Oh these pants have been everywhere with me. So, to ease in the closure process, please join me on this trip down memory lane. I guess you can think of this as jean eulogy.

A tribute to the traveling jeans:

These jeans aided me in holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa...
I was wearing them when I devoured my first authentic Belgian Waffle (though at that point in time they may have gotten a smidge tighter)

 I wore them when I met this drunk fellow at the real Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany.

These pants have been worn at the real Parthenon as well as the replica in Nashville.


And on Mars Hill, where Paul delivered one of his most famous lessons of the Bible.

I was wearing them when I met these guys in Italy and also when I was blessed by the Pope (in an intimate setting of only a couple hundred thousand) ;-)

In the Coliseum... 


And in good ol' Tennessee, catching fish with Rett.



It's been real, Silver jeans. And it has been fun. But it's time to say farewell. I found some AE jeans that look like they might be up for the challenge of traveling the world with me in all my many adventures for the next 5 years or so. Rest in pieces, jeans. Rest in pieces. 

1 comment:

  1. Man, I had a pair like that I took to Europe that had been my favorite for YEARS. Sadly, I left them there when I left, and I still miss those things from time to time. Ha.

    ReplyDelete